Monday, September 26, 2016

SIC Bios & Ballot


The following parents are interested in serving on SIC at the Lower Campus. Please read the bios below and vote using this ballot. Voting will close October 3rd.

My name is Michael Kopans. I am parent to two children, ages 3 and 5, and married to my wife Suzanne. My professions are that of Certified Personal Trainer at The Village of Sandhills, MUV Fitness, as well as a real estate agent for Coldwell Banker in the Northeast of Columbia. I currently am a homeroom parent for Mrs. Rholetter's class. My family and I attend The Village Church on Sundays. My wife and I have lived in Columbia since 2008, having moved here from Dayton, Ohio. When we moved to South Carolina we were both Walgreen Store Managers, until I did my transition to Personal Training. I have always been involved in my local church, be it through Youth Leadership or other church leadership roles. In 2011 I was part of the mentor-ship program at Longleaf Middle. In the past I have assisted with summer-league basketball for Jr. Varsity basketball. I even assisted with soccer coaching for my daughters 3-5 team. I am extremely active with my children as their level of intelligence would reflect the importance my wife and I play on education. We both believe that a child's potential to learn is far beyond where most are and that supporting our schools and teachers is a necessity.

I would love the opportunity to assist on the SIC board as I am an active participant in my own children's lives and hope to assist the schools in as many ways as possible.

Thanks,
Michael Kopans


Theresa (T.J.) Wallace is the Assistant Director of South Carolina Humanities, a cultural nonprofit organization that is the state program of the National Endowment for the Humanities. A native of Orlando, FL, T.J. graduated from Furman University in Greenville and has now lived in Columbia for more than 10 years. She completed a year of service with the Americorps program City Year Columbia in 2005 and graduated from Francis Marion University’s Nonprofit Leadership Institute in 2009. In Columbia, T.J. has volunteered with her church, the Midlands Reading Consortium, and Pawmetto Lifeline. She is married to Joey, and they are the parents of son Liam (in Kindergarten at Lake Carolina Elementary Lower) and daughter Lizzy (1).

Thank you for the opportunity!

Best regards,
T.J.


I am lifelong resident of Columbia and my wife, Dr. Tammy Shadd, a school administrator, we have 4 daughters who are former or current students at Lake Carolina. I am a certified mentor in the district and volunteered with young men at Lake Carolina Upper Campus last year. I have served on several boards and councils including the Superintendent's Parent Advisory Council this year.


Thanks,
James Shadd III