Monday, September 14, 2020

Voting for School Improvement Council (SIC) for 2020-21

The following parents are interested in serving on the Lake Carolina Elementary School Improvement Council. Please read the two bios below and vote using the online SIC Ballot 2020. Voting will close on Friday, September 18. 

Thank you for your time and support for LCE!


Meg Caristi

Hi! My name is Meg Caristi and I’m an Army wife and mom to two little men. I am a former elementary school teacher with a family full of educators and a deep passion for public education, volunteering, and advocacy.

I am a graduate of Ball State University with a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Child Development. I’m married to my highschool sweetheart, Anthony, who has served in the United States Army for 14+ years. My sons, Matteo (4th grade at LCEU) and Luca (7th grade at BMS) are new this year to the R2 district.

During 2019-2020, before moving to Columbia, I served the following organizations in Colorado: The Mountain Post Spouses Club as the 2019-2020 President. Weikel Elementary School as the School Accreditation and Accountability Committee (SAAC) Chair, the PTO Vice President, and a classroom volunteer. Carson Middle School as the PTO secretary and Accountability Committee (SAAC) member. Fountain Fort Carson School District as the District Accreditation and Accountability Committee (DAAC) Parent Co-Chair. Fort Carson Catholic Religious Education as the 2nd grade Catechist. HHC, 2BDE as the Family Readiness Advisor (FRA).

I have a love for serving each community that we move to and jumping in with both feet to help in any way that I am needed, especially in my kiddos schools. Although I am new to the Richland 2 School District and to LCE, I would love to work with the parents, administrators, and staff by joining the School Improvement Council. I can’t wait to get to know this amazing Gator Family even better!

Sharon Nelson

My name is Sharon Nelson and I am the proud wife to Justin, Sr. and the mother of twin third graders at Lake Carolina Upper Campus, Ava-Symone and Justin, Jr. I also have a 22 month old son named Hezekiah who will also join the Richland Two family when he is of age. Currently, I serve as the Recruitment and Retention Coordinator for Richland School District Two and my responsibilities are to ‘Develop, Recruit & Retain,’ the best teachers for our students here in Richland Two. I have had great success in my role and it is my honor to serve and support the teachers, school administrators and our community within my capacity. None of my accomplishments in the district would have been possible without acknowledging the time that I have served as the Director of Early and Later Gators at Lake Carolina Elementary School Upper Campus. It was and still is my desire to be involved in the school that my children would attend. To get to know the teachers, support staff and its leaders. As Director of the program, I considered my responsibilities essential and an “extension of the classroom” by carrying on the expectations of my Gators’ teachers and providing a structured and safe space that my parents felt comfortable with as they attended to their professional goals. While serving as the Director of the Afterschool Program, I was able to bring my mentoring program ‘Ladies First,’ to the school which encouraged young ladies to dive into their school work and to express themselves through sisterhood and decorum. Through my non profit organization, I aspire to bring the Ladies First Mentoring Group to multiple elementary schools across the district. Our young ladies need a place where they can grow, develop and seek advisement during their time of personal and scholastic development.

I received my Bachelors of Arts from South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC and my MBA from the University of Phoenix, Charlotte Campus. A forever learner, I am working on my SHRM certification with emphasis on Talent Acquisitions. Most recently I was nominated to the SC State University’s 40 Under 40 Inaugural Class as well as the Benedict College Teacher Advisory Committee for the 20-21 academic year.

While the work that I do is important, nothing is more important to me than being an active and involved mother to my children. I strive to be a resource for my children, their classmates, parents and the school community. For these reasons, I respectfully ask for your vote to become a member of LCEU’s School Improvement Council Committee (SIC). Thank you ever so much for your advance consideration.